Italian Elegance (Summer 2018)
Brochure Type: Europe 2018
Experience the epitome of Italy's historic cities, exquisite resorts, rustic towns and idyllic fishing villages.
Additional Included Highlights
- Rome: Enjoy a private guided visit of St Peter's Basilica and see other medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered through the city.
- Florence: During your guided walking exploration, see the cathedral, bell tower, Gates of Paradise on the baptistery and visit Signoria Square. Witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Italian Lakes: Experience the social ritual of la passeggiata.
- Verona: See the well-preserved Roman Arena and stand beneath Juliet's balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: Cruise to St Mark's Square by private launch. See St Mark's Basilica, bell tower, clock tower, Doge's Palace and Bridge of Sighs.
- Scenic Drives: Tuscan Hills, Apennines, Dolomites, Italian Lake District.
- Vatican City: Venture inside St. Peter's Basilica and see Michelangelo's Pieta, and the splendid dome.
- Vatican City: Visit the stunning Museo Gregoriano Profano which documents various moments and themes in classical art, from Ancient Greece through to the late Imperial Roman age.
- Florence: During your guided walk see the cathedral, bell tower and Gates of Paradise on the baptistery. Visit the political heart of the city, Piazza della Signoria.
- Florence: See the area around Santa Croce Basilica, famous for the quality of its luxury goods and witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Siena: Explore medieval Siena with a Local Expert and visit the cathedral.
- Cinque Terre: With your Local Expert, cruise to and explore two of the villages of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Portofino: Cruise from Santa Margherita and get a taste of the sweet life in this elegant fishing village.
- Italian Lake District: Experience the social ritual of la passeggiata.
- Verona: During your orientation, walk past the well preserved Roman Arena to Juliet's balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, you will be serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola, passing water-lapped doorways and Rococo palaces where once the likes of Casanova would have come calling.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Scenic Drives: Fall in love with the iconic scenery of the rolling Tuscan Hills, the Apennines and Dolomites mountain ranges and the Italian Lake District.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (803) 252-6900 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13867095
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 13 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (Please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Rome||Welcome to the Eternal City of Rome.: On arrival at Rome's Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport, your airport transfers leave for your hotel at 09:30, 12:30 and 15:30. In this unique city, ancient monuments happily co-exist with some 900 churches, fine palaces, bustling piazzas, green parks and a vast urban sprawl. At 17:30, join your fellow guests and Travel Director for a Welcome Dinner, a fun evening of Italian cuisine and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel dei Borgia, Rome.
|Day 3||Rome||Rome Sightseeing and Dinner in the Vatican.: In the morning enjoy the very best of the city's highlights including visiting the magnificent St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican with your Local Expert. Then there is free time, why not head to the Colosseum to learn about the city's ancient past? In the afternoon, enjoy special fast-tracked VIP entry into the Vatican Museums with a Local Expert. Admire the Papal art collection and enter the Sistine Chapel to marvel at Michelangelo's masterpiece on its ceiling. Continue to the stunning Museo Gregoriano Profano which documents various moments and themes in classical art, from Ancient Greece through to the late Imperial Roman age. You will then dine in the Vatican at Cortile del Giardino Quadrato, where you will enjoy incredible views of the cupola of St. Peter's during your Celebration Dinner. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel dei Borgia, Rome.
|Day 4||Monteriggioni||Renaissance Florence and on to Monteriggioni.: Take the autostrada north to Renaissance Florence. Accompanied by an art expert, venture inside the famous Accademia Gallery to admire Michelangelo's original statue, David. From there, see the cathedral, campanile and the baptistery, adorned with the Gates of Paradise. Walk on to Piazza della Signoria with its open-air gallery of Renaissance sculpture. There is time to shop for Florentine leather or gold before continuing to your elegant Tuscan villa near the walled town of Monteriggioni. After spending two days in the metropolis of Rome, your villa resort will be a welcome retreat. Rest in the shade of the lush, verdant gardens, swim in the pool, or participate in a variety of leisure activities. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Borgo San Luigi, Monteriggioni, Tuscany
|Day 5||Tuscany||Siena and Gelato in San Gimignano: (Relaxed Start) In the morning, visit medieval Siena where narrow cobbled streets lined with palaces and patrician mansions, lead to Piazza del Campo, scene of the Palio horse race. Explore with your Local Expert and visit the beautifully-striped cathedral. Continue to hilltop San Gimignano, famous for its medieval towers that scrape the azure Tuscan sky. Ascend serpentine alleyways to the artisan ice-cream parlour of world champion gelato maestro, Sergio Dondoli, for a taste of his finest frozen treats. On return to your hotel, stop at a local winery to sample some of the robust red wines of Tuscany and learn about their origins. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Borgo San Luigi, Monteriggioni, Tuscany.
|Day 6||Santa Margherita Ligure||The Chianti Hills to Pisa, Lucca and Santa Margherita.: Drive through the patchwork of vines, olives and cypresses that typify the Chianti hills. Head for Pisa and see the incredible Leaning Tower, from which Galileo is said to have conducted experiments on velocity and gravity. See the splendid cathedral and baptistery, decorated with mosaics and designs in solid marble, before continuing to the delightful town of Lucca. At a traditional steam bakery, taste the history in the lavish loaves of buccellato, Lucca's sweet raisin anise bread. Continue along the coast to the pretty seaside resort of Santa Margherita Ligure. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Best Western Regina Elena, Santa Margherita Ligure.
|Day 7||Santa Margherita Ligure||The Cinque Terre.: Head for the port of La Spezia for a highlight of your travels, the Cinque Terre - a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Italy's most beautiful landscapes. With a Local Expert, appreciate the views as you approach one of the picturesque fishing villages by boat. There is time to explore the old medieval quarter or the popular sandy beach before returning to your hotel. With the afternoon at leisure, perhaps make the most of the hotel's private beach before enjoying a delicious farm-to-table dining experience for dinner. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Best Western Regina Elena, Santa Margherita Ligure.
|Day 8||Baveno||Portofino and onto Lake Maggiore.: (Relaxed Start) In the morning, should weather permit, cruise along the rugged Ligurian coast to the elegant seaside village of Portofino, epitome of la dolce vita. Enjoy leisure time to admire the coloured houses, browse the boutiques or simply stay a while in the cafe bars on the piazzetta, watching the yachts moored in the harbour. Next, return to the mainland and head north to the beautiful Italian Lake District, a favourite retreat of the rich and famous where Alpine scenery combines with lush subtropical vegetation. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Simplon, Baveno, Italian Lakes.
|Day 9||Cortina d'Ampezzo||Verona, the Dolomites and Cortina d'Ampezzo.: Journey to the town of fair Verona, legendary home of Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet. Enjoy free time to admire the well-preserved Roman Arena still used for opera performances, or perhaps recite Shakespeare's immortal words and get cozy with Juliet's well-worn statue beneath the balcony where the Capulet family is said to have lived. Continue through the magnificent Dolomites, to the mountain resort of Cortina d'Ampezzo. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Ancora, Cortina d'Ampezzo.
|Day 10||Experience the Dolomites||Experience the Dolomites.: (Relaxed Start) The whole day is free for you to explore the colourful peaks and sheer valleys of the Dolomites, one of the most impressive mountain ranges in the Alps. During summer, once the snow and ice have melted away, a breathtaking landscape is revealed. There are a number of walking tracks through pristine Alpine wilderness for the adventurous to explore, or for a more relaxed pace, perhaps take a thrilling cable car ride to the summit of one of the peaks for breathtaking 360-degree views. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Ancora, Cortina d'Ampezzo.
|Day 11||Venice||Venice, Queen of the Adriatic.: (Relaxed Start) Descend through the mountains to the romantic city of Venice. A private launch ferries you past canals lined with ornate palaces to St Mark's Square. See the basilica, the Doge's Palace and Bridge of Sighs, before checking into your intimate and luxurious hotel. With the afternoon at leisure, why not cruise the Venetian lagoon to the island of Burano for a meal of local specialties and wine? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Bauer Palladio Hotel & Spa/Splendid Venice.
|Day 12||Venice||Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima: (Relaxed Start) Visit an arts centre to watch one of the few remaining craftsmen blow Venetian glass. Then there is free time to enjoy the magical atmosphere of this incredible city at your own pace. Mingle with the locals at the open air markets near the Rialto Bridge and explore the back lanes and squares where Venetians go about their day. Later, on your romantic gondola serenade, glide along the atmospheric canals exploring the intimate and hidden parts of this unique city while musicians set the mood with traditional songs. In the evening, toast the finale of your journey with good food, good wine and good company at your Celebration Dinner in a magical setting. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Palladio Hotel & Spa/Splendid Venice.
|Day 13||Venice||Arrivederci Venice.: Bid farewell to Bella Italia and your newfound friends. Your departure transfer arrives at Venice Marco Polo Airport at 08:00 or 09:30. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class